Criteria-based Immigration to Austria
Austria has introduced a flexible new immigration scheme: the Red-White-Red Card. It aims to facilitate the immigration of qualified third-country workers and their families with a view to permanent settlement in Austria, based on personal and labour-market related criteria.
The related set of rules entered into force on 1 July 2011.
The Card is issued for a period of twelve months and entitles the holder to fixed-term settlement and employment by a specified employer.
The following persons are eligible for a Red-White-Red Card:
- very highly qualified workers
- skilled workers in shortage occupations
- other key workers
- graduates of Austrian universities and colleges of higher education
- self-employed key workers
Red-White-Red Card plus
This card entitles the holder to fixed-term settlement and unlimited labour market access.
The following persons are eligible for a Red-White-Red Card plus:
- holders of a Red-White-Red Card if they were employed in accordance with the requirements decisive for admission for a minimum of ten months within the preceding twelve months
- family members of Card holders and holders of EU Blue Cards
- family members of foreign citizens permanently settled in Austria
Family members are defined as:
- registered partners
- minor children, including adopted children and stepchildren (up to the age of 18).
- At the time of filing the application, spouses and registered partners must be at least 21 years of age.
Use our free service to find out whether you could qualify for this Visa. Fill out the assessment form. Make sure that all information provided is authentic in order to make a proper assessment.