Each year, 170,000 students come from abroad to study in Canada.
A Study Permit is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a limited time.
Most international students will require a Study Permit to study in Canada. To learn more about studying in Canada without a study permit.
Obtaining a first study permit
- If you are a prospective student, you should first decide what sort of program they wish to pursue, and determine what institution is the best fit for your field of study.
- Once one or more places of study have been pinpointed, you should learn what you must do to get admission.
- Once admission to one or more schools has been obtained, you can begin applying for a study permit and, if necessary, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). A TRV may be required if you are a citizen of a country from which citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires TRVs for entry into Canada. This is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.
- When applying for a study permit, it is important to remember that CIC may require you to undergo medical examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.
- If you wish to study in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec you will also require approval from immigration authorities of the Government of Quebec.
Once you arrive in Canada, you must maintain your student permit and obtain work authorization.
- After obtaining a study permit, students may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies in Canada.
- Depending on your program, you may be eligible to work while studying.
After graduation, many students choose to stay in Canada to live and work:
- Many graduates are eligible to receive post-graduation work permits to facilitate their stay.
- A post-graduation work permit may help facilitate an application for Canadian Permanent Residency, especially through either the Canadian Experience Class Quebec Experience Class.
Use our free service to find out whether you could qualify for this visa. Fill out the assessment form. Make sure that all information provided is authentic in order to make a proper assessment.